Sunday, October 26, 2014

Blog Post #10

What Can We Learn From Mrs. Cassidy?



technology
First Graders in Mrs. Cassidy's Class 

This was an awesome video. It was amazing to see what these kids were accomplishing through technology in the first grade. Mrs. Cassidy's students were excited to tell viewers about what they were learning and how they were learning. I believe this is how all students should act. The video displayed students using SMART boards and laptops in the classroom. The students really seemed to like writing in their blogs. They were excited about the blogs because others could see what they were learning. The students also mentioned how family member left comments on their blog posts. These blogs worked up so much excitement for these kids and also helped achieved better writing skills. The children also learn how to use manners by learning how to leave appropriate comments on other blogs. Another resource that the students really enjoyed using was Wiki pages. Students were able to learn about traditions and rituals, while connecting with others. Skype is used in the classroom as well. Students are able to talk to experts through the use of Skype. All of these resources helped engaged the students, while making learning fun and successful.

Interview with Kathy Cassidy
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

One can learn many things from Mrs. Cassidy. I really found it interesting when Mrs. Cassidy mentioned how she started using technology in the classroom. Ten years ago, Cassidy explains, there were five computers set up in her classroom that only allowed internet access. Nothing could be downloaded onto these computers, so Cassidy had to find resources available online for her students to use. I find it very important that we find ways to use our available resources as educators. Cassidy mentions that technology is not going away, it is here to stay. I completely agree with her statement. I also agree with her that we can not teach students the same way we did twenty years ago, or even five years ago because the world has changed and we need to change with it. Promoting online resources, Cassidy includes that allowing students to to use the tools available online allows for collaborating and connecting to learn from others. Blogs are really stressed because it allows students to share with the world, rather than just their teacher. Students can display what they have learned through out the year in different subjects. By not allowing students to take advantage of technology you are handicapping your students, agrees Cassidy. I agree with this statement because students should always be introduced to new resources if it engages them in learning. Teachers should find ways to keep up with technology and share their new knowledge with their students.

How will I use this in My Classroom?

When I begin teaching, I want to incorporate as much technology as possible. I really liked how Mrs. Cassidy had a web page that includes links for students to navigate to "safe places". I definitely want to set up a webpage for my students that keeps them safe from viewing anything unwanted. Blogs are awesome. This year is the first time I have ever been engaged in blogging. My future students will be required to blog because I believe blogging is a great way to keep tabs on progress in the classroom, as well as personal growth. I hope to use technology as a way to better my student's future and success inside and outside the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Taylor Parker,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog post! There were a couple parts that I really liked!
    - "They were excited about the blogs because others could see what they were learning." They really were exited, weren't they! They want to share their learning journey with others! It sure is more exciting when more than just the teacher sees it!
    - "I find it very important that we find ways to use our available resources as educators." This is a very important lesson that all of us should take from these videos!

    As far as suggestions go. I don't really have any major ones! I didn't notice any major errors, so it seems like you're proofreading your blogs very well! You could make the format of your post slightly more appealing if you were interested in it. You could just indent the paragraphs, or you could go all out and learn how to change your font and color! I know I was super excited when I learned how to do that!

    Overall, you did a great job with your post! Have fun on the rest of your learning journey in EDM310!
    Jennifer Cole

    ReplyDelete