Sunday, October 12, 2014

Implications and Teaching Opportunities for Camera Use in Teaching and Learning

phones


To be honest, personally I match every single one of the six statistics mentioned on the class blog. I use my smartphone for EVERTHING. My smart phone is my camera, my alarm clock, my GPS, and my computer. It is sad to admit this, but I could not imagine not having my smartphone in my life. Resources are so readily available at your fingertips with smartphones. The first thing I do when I wake up in the morning is check my phone and normally checking my phone is the last thing I do before I fall asleep. It seems so crazy, but I think many people are guilty if this habit.

Without the use of smartphones, I do not believe communication would be as quick and covenient as it is today. I can easily pick up my smartphone and send an email or log onto Facebook to communicate with someone who is miles away. Technology is not necessarily a bad thing when it can be used as a resource to gain knowledge. I remember getting my first cell phone in the seventh grade. It was nowhere near what we would consider now a "smartphone". Phones have advanved tremendously over a short amount of time. My first cell phone did not even have a camera. Most kids today have never been without a smartphone.

So how can we as educators use these smartphones to our students' advantage? When I was in high school students were not allowed to have any technological devices in the classroom whatsoever. Smartphones and tablets were considered to be a distraction from learning, but now I am convinved otherwise. Teachers can incorporate smartphones and/or tablets into the classroom as learning tools. There are many apps available that serve as learning resources. Using technology resources in the classroom can make learning fun for students.

Uses for camera:
1. Recording important audio/video during lectures.
2. Students can take pictures of progress achieved to post on blogs.
3. Students can use facetime to work collaboratively from home if needed.
4. Students can send pictures via text message if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment